Friday, April 27, 2012

2012 NFL Draft: Breaking Down First Round Trades Browns and Vikings

Since there is a new CBA in the NFL, the traditional draft pick value chart is out of date. I have taken it upon myself to make a new one and I will be breaking down all of the trade deals to see who came out on top.

Trade #2 Minnesota trades the 3rd pick to Cleveland for the 4th, 118th, 139th, and 211th picks

Under the old system: The Vikings gets robbed in this deal by the value of a late second round pick. Cleveland wins the trade

Under my chart: I would say that the Browns underpay for the Viking's pick by the value of an early 4th round pick. Browns win the trade

Eye Test: I think this too is a win-win for both teams. The Browns had 13 picks coming into the draft so giving up 3 late round picks is not particularly damaging. The Vikings get 3 extra picks and still get the player who everyone thought that they were targeting anyway. The eye test says in spite of the difference in value, the Vikings in the trade.

No comments: