Friday, April 27, 2012

2012 NFL Draft: Breaking Down First Round Trades Rams and Redskins

Since there is a new CBA in the NFL, the traditional draft pick value chart is out of date. I have taken it upon myself to make a new one and I will be breaking down all of the trade deals to see who came out on top.

Trade #1 St. Louis trades the 2nd pick to Washington for the 6th, and 39th picks in 2012 plus a first round pick in 2013 and 2014.

Under the old system: According to the draft value chart, the value of the 2013 and 2014 picks add up to the same value of the 41st pick this year. A clear undervaluing of those picks and as far as pure value of the picks the Rams should have gotten more. Washington wins the trade.

Under my chart: I would say that the Redskins overpaid for the 2nd overall pick by the value of a late second round pick in this year draft. While overpaying this much is reasonable when you are talking about getting a franchise quarterback, the Rams come out on top in this trade.

Eye Test: I think this is a win-win for both teams. The Rams get picks, the Redskins get a quarterback who should start for a decade. But the luster will be off this trade by the time the next two drafts roll around so I have to give a slight edge on this trade to the Rams.

No comments: